This is normally where I would put in a bunch of text explaining what got done on the deck project this weekend, but my arms are too tired to type more than a sentence or two. So instead, I’ll just post a bunch of photos!
The holes are dug and we are ready to start the mixing.
This is a VERY small sample of the bags we schlepped from Home Depot. We ended up with near 75 bags or so. I lost count.
No fireworks this year in Austin (due to drought), but I did manage to make some sparklers cutting over 100ft of rebar.
All that rebar had to go somewhere. For a bunch of these, I had to drill into the house foundation, then epoxy them in. My hands are still vibrating.
Each hole had about 8 cu ft (12 bags) of concrete for the footing and a 1ft cylinder pier attached to the top to support the posts.
A close up of one of the footings and piers with the post holder attached.
We did a row of 4 next to the house and 4 away from the house, 3 more smaller ones to go sometime this week.
All those empty bags had to go somewhere. The middle of the yard seemed like a fine place for them.
Once the concrete cured a day, I peeled the tube forms off for that gray, industrial look I was going for.
And then I got started moving the dirt we took out back to where it came from.
All of that work and concrete buried from view! It seems almost criminal, but I guess it does look a bit better this way.
Tags: backyard, deck, homeowner, photo